Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Yellow Convicts

Yellow Convicts

Yesterday I saw Yellow Convicts at pet shop and wanted to buy them right away. Its the first I saw these Yellow Convicts and they looked soo beautiful. After reading online I learn much more about them and today I bought a pair. I'm not sure its a right pair though pet shop owner insisted on it. Those 2 looked like males to me. But I ll give them a day or 2 and if they start fight I take one to pet show and bring a real female. I found that they are the smallest among American Cichlids and less aggressive than their relatives. This is one of the more sensitive species and Yellow Convicts will probably not do well with fish that are more aggressive than they are. These fish would be best kept in pairs along with some small to medium sized livebearers. they live around 10 years.

Scientific Names :-
Cryptoheros nanoluteus, Archocentrus nanoluteus, Cichlasoma nanoluteus, Heros nanoluteus

Sexing :-
Males tend to be larger with a hump on the head and females have a distinctive black circle on the dorsal fin.

Food :-
Yellow Convicts do well with flake or pellet food supplimented with fresh vegetables and frozen meats.


Male Yellow Convict : pointed dorsal fin



Female Yellow Convict :




They looks great and said to be peaceful. I think they might be good for a community tank but not with too small fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment